Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Years Eve Run


I am wet. I am cold. But I am smiling.

Flashback about an hour and a half ago and it was a different scene entirely. I was dry. I was warm. And I had a scrunched up grimace on my face. Standing and looking out into the fading grey light of the last afternoon of 2009 I was faced with a very uninviting sight. Rain. Loads of rain. Rain coming down sideways and in sheets at the same time.

Of course I was procrastinating my run. Who wants to go outside in that? I had put off my run all day in order to wrap up work projects and tidy up loose ends before the year expired. But it was 3pm and it was now or never with fading daylight. So, there I stood in front of the living room window with that little grimace.

But I had to go. There was no option. It was New Years Eve for crying out loud! Days like this were made for celebrating with a run and my mind was made up already. Ear buds jammed in, collar snugged up, hat pulled down I walked out into the storm.

I won't lie, the first 10 minutes was no bueno. I was cold and could feel the rain running down my neck. But after that things changed minute by minute.

I warmed up, loosened up and got into the rhythm of my easy run pace. Checking the heart rate monitor to keep my speed down, scrolling through they iPod to get the right groove on, and dancing with the puddles to keep my feet dry... I ran.

Then something amazing happened. The light changed... and it moved me. The sky didn't open up or throw a rainbow at me- no it was much more subtle than that. You know that WOW lighting when the sky almost seems back-lit, the air around you appears to glow, and the landscape seems to be highlighted somehow? If you have experienced this WOW lighting then you know exactly what I mean. If you haven't, then I suggest you go outside on rainy grey-sky days more often.

My world changed for that one moment and a heaviness that I didn't know I was carrying was lifted off my shoulders and thrown up into the sky. Funny thing is, I wouldn't have felt that way if I hadn't started out in the rain. From grey to great...it was a wonderful feeling.

About half way through my run I decided to pull out my earbuds and shut off the tunes. I wanted to hear my thoughts. New Years Eve brings many thoughts to my already buzzing brain and I wanted to let them flow un-interupted.

It was only then that I heard the rain and wind dancing in the shrubs and trees and leaves around me. It was a beautiful sound and my ears opened up to grab more of the same. I became lost in my senses - smell, sound, sight, and touch as I jogged along the winding forest trails of my neighbourhood. I was completely in that moment and again I was filled with wonder, happiness and peace, really.

This is my tale of change. In life we are constantly thrown curve balls when we least expect or seemingly deserve them. There will always be low times. BUT take solace in the thought that life is ALWAYS changing and before you know it your sky will light up and you will see the world in a new light. Even on those dark days, your world can change in an instant.

Keep on keepin' on (as my Grandma Lily always said:)

Cheers to 2010!!
Sarah.

No comments: