Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Two Weeks in Pics...

HAPPY JUNE!
It has been an awesome couple of weeks on the Island and I have been too busy playing to take and post many photos! Finally the sunshine came out this weekend and I am just soaking it up...finally! It feels sooooo good:)

Here is what I have been up to...


How cute is this baby donkey??? This past weekend I was down in Vic celebrating my birthday with my sister (same b-day) and my familia. We had a wonderful weekend of celebrating, laughing, eating and walking and walking and walking...

I re-strained my right ankle (sprained it in early spring) in a bizarre move on Friday while riding with Nikki above the Dam. Went to get off the side of my bike and happened to step onto a tiny stump then roll my ankle off the side of it, buckling my leg and coming to a soft landing on some lovely green moss in a patch of sunlight. I took the entire weekend and actually 3 whole days off (gasp!) to just let everything recover. Hence the hours of walking in Vic...

Saturday morning Brad and I walked to the Beacon Hill petting zoo and met this new addition... baby donkey girl! Just born a few hours before we arrived! We went back to visit her a few times and I must have taken about a hundred pics. Never thought a donkey would have me so head over heels but there ya go:)

2 weekends ago I got to take my Peru 2010 crew on their first group training hike...4 hours of UP and DOWN made for a great day of trekking above the Dam. They did great and will be more than ready for their 7 day trek come September.

Recognize this Arbutus tree anyone?


How about this trail?



BOOTCAMP has been a blast and my sunrise recruits have been working (and playing) very hard over the past couple of weeks as they approach the end of spring training camp. I will post a short video of them in action soon... Jumping...



Crunching...


Pushing...

ADVENTURE RUNNING has gone to new heights this season and our participants have turned into real mountain goats as a result! Here is part of the crew last Thursday a couple hundred metres above Comox Lake...well worth the climb!



I got some good miles in on the bike during my last week of training...2 70km rides Sunday then again last Friday with Nikki. We rode pretty much everything in the Valley...twice. Cumby first...then out to the Dam for all of our favorites then all the way back to Cumby...Good times!
On my big ride Sunday before last I met a VERY big black bear. I have seen many bears in my work and play in the bush over the years...but this guy was HUGE and he was STANDING up about 20 feet away from me. Crazy. The old 'YO BEAR' doesn't quite seem appropriate in that situation...
On my big ride last Friday I ran into a baby bear in Cumby on my own and then Nikki and I came across a family of BABY grouse chicks at the dam! Crazy cute...fluffy little critters:) Watch out for them on Slither trail if you are riding!
My trusty steed. She has had a great month of long rides. I think she is ready for the TEST this Saturday. Question is...Am I? I think so. I have no real expectations for this race which is really nice. Never done the race course, no PR to try and beat, no idea who to chase. So, my goal is to PACE myself, not get injured, not break my bike, and not CRAMP! Put that voodoo doll down...I am done with freaky injuries for the season please and thanks!
Thanks to the guys at Mountain City Cycle for giving my little filly a once over this week- she is ready to go!
Have a great week!
Cheers,
Sarah.

No comments: