Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My new favorite island

Hellooooo!
This past weekend I made an escape over to Saturna Island for a girls get-away filled with good food, fun fitness and great friends:) 9 of us in total spent the weekend in a beautiful log cabin, weaving old Rapattack fire fighting tales, creating new memories, feasting on great food and kicking up dirt all around the island.

50% of the island is National Park and that means fantastic forest lands, protected trail networks and unspoiled vistas. The highlight was a long ridge trail on a crazy side slope that hovered hundreds of metres above the coast below. Herds of deer and wild goats dotted the hill side that was covered in a lush green grass & wildflower carpet. Amazing. One of the most beautiful/breathtaking trails I have ever been on in my life. Belly flipping steep and views to die for. The only problem is it wasn't long enough! I could have followed that trail for days...

Instead I rode it the first day (15k loop with a steep climb up before hitting the ridge trail) with a few of the girls (so fun and freaky at the same time) then fast packed a great 10k route along the coast for a modified brick workout:) Then on Saturday I got up ridiculously early and ran back up to the ridge trail a couple of times for a good loooong solo 4hour run. After that it was on to the winery for a tasting and tour followed by a nap! Perfect day:)

Here are some pics from the Island...



Lisa and I at the summit!
Awesome single track...


Scrambling with the girls on the rocky, coast trail...




Crazy spring orchids...



Lighthouse point just after sunrise on Sunday morning...


Wonder where my sneakers will take me next...

SS




No comments: