Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Dark chocolate fig bars...oh my...

Do you like figs?  No?  Get outta here!

To tell you the truth, I didn't actually enjoy my first fresh fig tasting experience.  The fresh fig texture was remarkably similar to a raw sea urchin I (should never have) tried on the beach in Baja Mexico...long story.  

After falling in love with dried figs, however, I may try the fresh ones again one day...

Dried figs are moist, chewy, rich, little gifts of goodness.  They are high in fibre, potassium, magnesium, vitamin B6 and go for about 37 calories per fig.  You can check out some crazy fig facts online or you can just eat them...

Honestly I didn't even know I liked them until last month when I tried an Oskri Fig Dark Chocolate Bar.  I am always looking for bars that stand up to my 'is it real food?' test.  Oskri passed the test;)

Yum!  Figs AND chocolate are meant for each other it seems!
And so I was thrilled to stumble across this bag of organic dried figs at COSTCO the other day.   I have a feeling my membership will be paid in figs and coconut oil this year...

There are only 2 ingredients in the Oskri bars so I figured they wouldn't be too hard to recreate in my kitchen...Figs...and Dark Chocolate;)

I didn't have any 'good' chocolate in the house so I modified the ingredients and came up with my own version.  These bars take about 5 minutes to make and less time to eat the whole pan if you aren't carefll:)  Don't say I didn't warn you!  Enjoy!

Dark Chocolate Fig Bars
2 cups dried organic figs
2 - 3 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
2 tablespoons organic coconut oil 
*Optional: 1-2 tablespoons of chopped dark chocolate (for texture, of course:)

Chop figs and remove stems.
Mix in food processor until smooth.
Melt coconut oil and add to figs along with cocoa powder. 
Mix until combined then press into lined 8*8 pan.  
Refrigerate or freeze until set.  
Cut into 8 or 16 bars and enjoy:)
*16 mini bars at 75 calories, 1.8g fat, 13.6g carbohydrate, .8g protein each

Ideas:
I might double the recipe and make them twice as fat next time.  
I will also try using a nice 'good' dark chocolate instead of the powder/coconut oil...

Were they like the Oskri bars?  Yes...but with more texture & flavor...so...I think they were even better:)

Do you like figs? 
What are your favourite fig recipes?
Try this recipe and let me know what you think!
For more healthy mobile recipes check out my cookbook NRG: foods that will move you

Cheers,
Sarah.








No comments: