Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Recipe: Dodge Balls

 
Have you tried the Hornby Island Energy Balls yet?  Sure you have;) AKA Hornby Hippy Balls. They are now found in a bar shape and lovely package fit to compete with the biggest bars on the market.  Huray for Hornby!  I love grabbing these for road trips and having them in my backpack for breakfasts on overnight camping trips.  They are loaded with energy and made with all natural ingredients...right in our backyard!

 

I decided it was time I tried to create my own homemade version of these tasty snacks so that I could have them whenever I want them, invent my own flavours and save a few dollars in the process;).  I'm bringing back 'Dodge Balls' - because I spend nearly all of my non-work hours in Cumberland, I figured I might as well name my balls after Dodge City.  Give them a try and let me know what you think!  


Dodge Balls
4 cups oats
1 cup coconut
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup water
dash of salt
*1/2 cup dark chocolate chips


  • Combine dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse until they break down to a fine texture.  Remove and place in a large bowl.
  • Combine wet ingredients in a pot on the stove and heat gently until you can combine them well.  
  • Mix wet into dry and combine well.
  • Roll into balls.  I make mine about 2 inches in diameter- like the Hornby Balls!
  • Melt chocolate over a water bath (get a pot of water simmering and melt chocolate in a bowl resting on top).  Drizzle over the balls or dip balls into chocolate.
  • Store in the freezer...enjoy!

1 comment:

swell conditions said...

Thanks for the recipe!! I've been looking for something similar to the Hornby Island balls and these look great!