Thursday, January 22, 2015

Reflections

Is it already January 22nd?  Wowza...2015 is off like a rocket!  

 Flower Ridge, July 2014

Looking back...
2014 was a doozy for me.  I started the year with some health issues that rocked my world and left me with some new perspectives.  I spent the year focused on rebuilding my body and working towards a healthier balance of work, life and training.  It was a tough year for me but it was also a beautiful year...that always seems to be the way. 



The deepest valleys are surrounded by the highest peaks and I experienced some spectacular views from the top as well.  Without spending time in the trenches we would never actually appreciate the magic of clear skies... and I am grateful for every experience that life allows me to take.  Challenges, I believe, are what make life interesting, meaningful and allow us to stretch and grow. 

The highlights of my year were many:)  Feeling strong and inspired again...exploring new landscapes...adventuring solo and with good friends...listening to my body and mind. 

Sun Mountain 50k was an awesome experience with my trail buddy Kim:).  So fun to travel and explore new terrain- sunflowers and rolling hills for miles and miles...

Kusam was a bonus for me- first time returning to this awesome race in 3 years (post ankle fracture) and I managed to take a few more minutes off of my own PR for the course.  Can't complain about that!  

Feeling good, I decided to build on that distance and tackle the Squamish 50mile - all of my athletes were heading over so I figured I should go for it while I had the miles under my belt.  It was a challenge I am grateful for.  I learned to race with my heart- no heart, no happy:). 

MOMAR didn't happen for me this year- falling through a bridge and messing my back caught up with me and it was a no go come race week unfortunately.  I loved following along with all of my friends and athletes as much as I enjoy the race itself so I got my fill;). PS: Have you signed up for the 2015 race yet?  60% sold out!!  Get on it!

Perseverance was a HUGE highlight as I experienced what impact a small community can have when we work together.  For our 10th anniversary this year, we managed to raise $175, 000 as part of a massive fundraising campaign for the CCFS.  Wowza.  Humans can be amazing.

My true highlights were found in the mountains, without race bibs, however.  
 
Although I enjoy racing, my heart is filled up by exploring in the woods, over the peaks and in the valleys... I spent more time in Strathcona Park this summer then I have in my entire life.  I hiked new trails every weekend and finished with a mind bending solo walk about to the highest point on Vancouver Island- the Golden Hinde.  
 
I fell head over heels in love with the mountains again.  And I developed a new appreciation for long solo days in the alpine.  Big mountain space breathes new life, restores energy and boosts my spirit.  So grateful...
Augerpoint...
Elk River...
Flower Ridge...

Spending time in the Chilcotin mountains in September was another dream weekend with amazing friends, unforgettable views and magic in the moments.  Perfect weekend to top last year and I am planning to do it all again this year.

Hawaii...oh Hawaii...you have stolen my heart...in my dreams I live in Hawaii surfing every day of the winter and in the mountains hiking, running and biking every day of the summer...it's good to have dreams and goals:).  One day...

2015...
My mission is to do less...but do it better.  Create space to allow room to grow, nourish and experience this life more fully.  More time exploring, reading, reflecting, playing, laughing and loving:) 

There is one big event I accidentally got into the lottery for... looks like Kim and I are headed to San Fran the first weekend of May...for the Miwok 100k...yikes.  Looking forward to exploring new views, wine country and gaining new perspectives this spring!

The rest of the year is open to adventures as they come...one thing is for sure...I will be in the mountains as many days as possible in the summer...and heading back to Hawaii for as many days as possible come winter:)

What's your vision for 2015?  It IS your life, after all...
Happy Trails,
SS


No comments: