Sunday, April 5, 2015

Coming home

Sunday thoughts...
I just drove back to the Valley after spending a lovely weekend in Victoria with my family.  Spring is a magical season in Vic.  The daffodils were taking over and the cherry trees were loaded with ripe bundles of pink blossoms just in time for my visit.  I always squeeze in all of the things that I miss since moving up Island.  Strolls through Beacon Hill Park...Dallas road and the beach breeze blowing in my hair...breakfast (lunch and dinner) at my favourite eats...laughing til I cry and smiling til my face hurts with mi familia.  It fills up the little spaces in my heart and makes my smile a little brighter.  It is a wonderful little city and Victoria will always be my hometown.  A pleasure to visit and the only city I'd ever want to live in.  Yet... 


Somewhere between Nanaimo and Parksville I felt a shift...an actual weight lifted,  my lungs expanded and my breathe pulled deep.  My face softened and my lips curled into a blissed out smile.  The trees stood up.  The green hills rolled out.  The peaks and fresh powder pulled me in.  Space appeared where it was hidden before.  I wondered if there was a trail up that hill or a name on that peak...I wondered how I would get up there to find out and how soon I could go...

Ocean and islands and mountains and forest welcomed me home.  Home.  After 15 years in the Comox Valley not only do I call it home, but I am proud to do so.   Every year that I have lived here I have fallen deeper in love with this little Valley and the sweet people who make it my home.

I am stoked to be part of the creative, adventurous, blissful community here.  Recently I contributed  a  story to the CV Collective that takes the reader on a journey from ' Alpine to ocean...and everything in between'.  Pick up a copy of this rad new magazine at your favourite shops and restaurants on the Island and you will get a taste of what our little gem of a Valley is all about.  But don't even think about moving here...the house prices are through the roof and it rains 365 days a year😉.

Happy Trails,
SS

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome writing!!

Sarah said...

Oh thank you for saying so Anonymous! Made my day:)